Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Where I'm From by Mandy Muller

I am from laundry baskets,
from tide laundry detergent and dryer sheets.

I am from the hard wood floors.
(Brown, smooth, scratched by the dog’s nails.)

I am from the baby’s breath,
the herbs grown fresh in our garden,
year after year.

I’m from Christmas at the Bartter’s and bright smiles,
from Clyde and Gail.

I’m from the smart remarks
and the “For crying out loud! ”s

From treat people as you want to be treated
and you are capable of doing anything.

I’m from Sunday morning mass
with Pastor Paula and Reverend Ron
and confirmation classes.

I’m from New York, apple pie and honey baked ham.

From the mile my grandpa got dragged
down the beach by a fish and the unwillingness to let go.

The endless amount of photo albums
in mom’s office along with cheap souvenirs,

A combination of emotions and engraved memories;

I am from the childhood memories-
those I will never forget-
and those I wish I could remember better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like that! The first line explains me! I live in the laundry room and Pure Essentials is now my best friend! LOL